Re: I think I know what is clobbering my Gnome (Resolved)

John Jason Jordan wrote:

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:45:24 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj comcast net> dijo:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally nailed it.

After creating a new user and logging in the new user had metacity. I
had renamed the new users .local folder to .local-original, then
copied my .local folder to the new user.
I guess you checked but just in case, when copying files from a different user you might bump into security issues. Did you check files permission and ownership?
After logging out and back in
again as the new user metacity failed to load. Therefore, I knew the
problem was in my .local folder.

After much use of diff and trying things I focused
on .local/share/applications/metacity.desktop. This file did not exist
in the new user's original .local folder.

I have no idea what rogue process created this file.

It just happened again, except that this time it was the gnome-panel
that failed to load on logging in instead of metacity.

Looking at the .local/share/applications folder, sure enough, there is
now a file gnome-panel.desktop. And the date stamp on it is January 14.
Thinking back, that was approximately the time I made a change to the
Applications menu.

Specifically, I did not want K3b in Applications > Sound and Video but,
rather, in Applications > Accessories. So I right-clicked on
Applications and then on Edit Menus. In the Main Menu window I dragged
K3b from Sound and Video to Accessories, then deleted it from Sound and
Video. Apparently this caused the gnome-panel.desktop file to be
created, and something in it was keeping gnome-panel from loading.

As before with the metacity.desktop file, renaming gnome-panel.desktop
solved the problem.

There is another thread here recently initiated by David Harel "Windows
Decorations Lost ..." He reports a similar experience.

Clearly we have a bug in the menu editor. I think it's time for me to
file bug report. However, I have some problems. First, the Gnome bug
tracker site is hopeless. I find it impossible to navigate and find
anything. More important, I cannot figure out the name of the menu
editor module. There is a Help button on the window, but it has no
About window to tell me what the name of the package is. I need to know
what it is called before I try to file a bug report.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Regards.

David Harel,

Home office +972 77 7657645
Cellular:   +972 54 4534502