displaying gif or png images containing transparencies

I would like to display partly transparent images directly on the gnome background, much like the way icons are displayed on the Desktop, but I want the images to be much bigger than icons are allowed to be and I want to be able to drag them around and resize them with the mouse. I can make gif or png files containing transparencies, but I don't know of a utility that will display such files without its own (non-transparent) background being in the way. I haven't found any relevant information with Google searching or in the gnome documentation. Does anyone know of an appropriate utility or technique or other help list?

Thanks, Pierre

Pierre Kleiber, Ph.D               Email: pierre kleiber noaa gov
Pacific Island Fisheries Science Center     Tel. wk: 808 983-5399
NOAA Fisheries                                   hm: 808 737-7544
2570 Dole St., Honolulu, HI 96822-2396