Re: Can i do this in Gnome?

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM, esbat mop <esbatmop gmail com> wrote:
> When I use my laptop.
> I share my destop like A|B
> In the left(A),this is my writing place. Maybe I opened a txt with gedit.
> In the right(B),this is my reading place.Maybe I opened a pdf to read.
>
> When I was writing in A place. Sometime I should read something in B. And I
> should move my mouse to B and scroll with mouse to see the whole paper (or
> type the key pg up/pg dn)
>
> Can I set some key to control the B place when I work at A?
> like this:
> When I writing in gedit(A place) , I type pg up key(or up key or scroll the
> mouse) , then pdf(in B place) moved.
>
> How can I use the different key to control different window at the same
> time?

This is the type of weird stuff you can do in Linux.

The short answer is you combine
http://kollerat.com/cms/index.php/Allgemein/Software/Control-VLC-via-global-hotkeys-xbindkeys-under-Linux.html
with
http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/GetInvolved

xbindkeys allows to run a special program when you press a specific
key/key combination.
The GNOME Accessibility API allows to send easily events to running
programs. I do not have a link to sample code; if you can search a bit
you should be able to find a small Python snippet that sends events to
specific windows. As a hint, look at dogtail,
https://fedorahosted.org/dogtail/ the software testing tool. It does
what you want in terms of controlling an application in a
comprehensive way. What you need to write is a small Python program,
'send_event_to_gedit.py', which would take as parameters 'pgup',
'pgdown', etc.
Dogtail creates a special script to control applications; you run
dogtail and you focus it on your gedit. Press PgUp/PgDown, etc and
work your way from the instructions it creates for you.

Hope this helps,
Simos