Newly installed UBUNTU is crippled --- Help!

I have an ASUS  Eee PC 1015PEM-PU17-BU 10.1-Inch Netbook.
It came with (UGH) Windows 7
I followed the instructions on the Ubuntu download page,

   Download the USB installer
   Choose Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10
   Browse to iso
   Chose Install Ubuntu

The installation completed successfully,  BUT
after I boot, I do NOT get the default desktop.

There is a panel at the top, but it only includes icons on the right end
(for wireless, bluetooth, chat/mail, time, etc.).
It does NOT include the IMPORTANT   Applications, Places, or System Menus.
I cannot add to the top panel --- a right click of the mouse does nothing.

There is NO bottom panel.
There is a set of icons on the left side, but I cannot move them, or add or delete icons.
When I click on an icon, sometimes there is no response, or a VERY slow response.

I am using a Logitech B100 mouse.

Hope somebody out there can help....
(Please reply to my email, sidnie feit comcast net)
Sidnie Feit