Re: gnome-list Digest, Vol 86, Issue 5 Item 1

On 06/10/2011 06:42 PM, Desmond Armstrong wrote:

I also have some fedora 15 working and that was enough of a challenge in
itself.

Although I am finding my way around this, because of the absence of some
3D drivers (with Intel) it is not very nice.

Gnome should make available the more conventional version 2 so that we
can easily install it.
Fedora 14, Ubuntu 11.04, openSuse 11.4 those are all recent (some very) and maintained distribution that carry GNOME 2 and which are maintained. Then you can also go with Debian, Foresight and many more.

So basically while the gnome team have worked very hard and produced
what does look like a very secure and stable desktop, I am finding the
serious difficulties with the inflexibility of the system.

Maybe wait for 3.2?

fedora 15 does not allow the manual setting of display resolution
(reported to Redhat) and I have instances where monitors are not
correctly sensed and therefore become unusable. Just why, when we do
have an administrator password, are we now denied such abilities?

Well that seems to be a Red Hat issue so not very relevant here, or did I misunderstand something?

I could go on, but we are working as a community and we WILL end up with
a good system.

A .0 (as in 3.0) release is not for everybody. Maybe distributions currently runs on the 2.x branch while GNOME is ironing out the 3.x branch. Apparently you should wait until the next cycle to give it another try and see if the bugs affecting you have been fixed.

Thanks.

Fred