Re: Gnome 3 usability - one user's comments

Em Qua, 2011-06-15 às 16:35 +0200, Olav Vitters escreveu:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:18:05AM -0300, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:
> Yes, I agree, power users will "see"  the great advantage gnome shell,
> but for each one

1. You mentioned you weren't able to use GNOME shell
I can use gnome3, and in fact it works... have some minor problems, but works...
but I am a "power" user... but as I said, for ONE me, there are many that are "windows users" ...
2. You're speaking on other peoples behalf
   I can easily say 'people will think GNOME3 is the best thing since
   sliced bread' and we'll get nowhere.
Do not agree... I give support for 3 companies (more than 200 users) and only about
10 windows (virtualbox)  users (that access windows using vncviewer) from gnome desktop, main use is bank access that works only in windows...
the servers are FreeBSD and the users use mainly thin clients (that uses 15in monitors and X vesa in 1024x768)
they use on site software (kind of erp...) that runs on the postgres servers (FreeBSD) and there are
a 6 core 12Gb memory, AMD64 running arch linux X64. The thin clients boot on FreeBSD, and do a X -query nnnn  (nnn is the archlinux)

This are the corporate ones.. there are the notebook users (about 50 dell inspiron) running arch linux with cheese,
msn, vnc, libreoffice... that are the "sellers, and representatives" of the companies... their notebooks are installed archlinux
and never come back to the company. this gives a "great" saving not only in money, but lost time with "windows updates, anti-virus, spywere...", you install archlinux and it is done forever...

I tested gnome3 in 4 users, for 3 days, and none could operate it in the "compatible" mode (no desktop icons, the panel does not respond to the right click of the mouse.... (ok now I know there is a key sequence...)).
I am now considering using gnome2 from FreeBSD..   (shut down the archlinux)

More constructive regarding some things you mentioned in a previous
email:
- You can have Nautilus take over the desktop in fallback mode
ok... where is the documentation on how to??
- You can change the panel (hold alt while right clicking)
again, where is the documentation for that?? and how can I "reprogram"  200 users??

One of the "charm"  of gnome was the easy of use... The onwers of the companies
were satisfied with gnome for there is no need to "train"  users... even the "coffee" atendent
can operate it, with only a mouse and a desktop and a panel...

When you hire someone to work, if they have more skills, it will cost more, with gnome2
the only skill you need is some typing and the use of the mouse, the user does not even know what is
an "attach" for email. The user does not know even the name of the email program (evolution),
the documents, have their thumbnail, and the user only clicks to see it. another click and the email is
done, other click, it is printed.. No virus, no spyware, faster, reliable... That was the arguments I
posted to the onwers to use gnome, by the way, the onwers have switched from windows, to apple, and gnome
using vnc...

Hope this can give you a "vision"  of what is going on...

Sergio