problem with sharing folders

Hi

I am new to Ubuntu/Gnome so apologies if this is a simple question...

I am trying to share folders and an external HDD....I already did set
sharing on my home folder through the Shared Folders screen...

Now when I log onto Shared Folders all the options are greyed out and it
says "Authentication required to make changes"

What authentication?  I cannot recall changing settings that would
require one to authenticate, and even if i did, where is the screen to
do so...

Maybe I am missing something...

Please help.  I have set up ubuntu on a new personal computer...no
windows alternative, nothing.....so I am stuck at the moment.

Help appreciated...

tks

Peter
--