Re: GNOME Chat and the future of instant messaging in gnome

On Sun, 2015-10-18 at 05:14 +0000, Charles Johnson wrote:
 Wow... this looks very interesting topic, see https://mail.gnome.org
/archives/release-team/2015-April/msg00050.html
I think there's an important point here. Consider that messaging is
still used and protocols should be prioritized over others.
Have many protocols in the same application is very useful, but now
is not a priority, many popular messaging system are integrated into
the website like facebook, Hangouts or Skype.
Telepathy framework does not have a very active development, but can
be enhanced aseptic protocols to provide free messaging (text, voice
call and video call).

Well, I very happily use Empathy for XMPP & IRC.

But 'the cloud' continues to strangle free-standing software, such as
Open Source, and dissuade innovation.  Yay.  Looks like I will
eventually be back to using xchat.

So I think 3 protocols must be strengthened and supported in gnome-
chat:
XMPP/Jingle: Free messaging by definition. It includes Gabble and
Salut.

I am not sure what needs to be strengthened.  XMPP works really well.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383