grouping and labeling workspaces?

When I have a lot of projects going concurrently, I try to set up
different things on different workspaces.  One particular project or
activity may have 3 to 5 workspaces.

Is there a way to group the workspaces and have the workspace switcher
emphasize workspaces in the group that I'm currently interested in?

Is there also a way to put labels on the workspaces in the switcher, or
to colour-code them, e.g. blue for one project and gray for another project?

In window managers with a grid-shaped workspace switcher, a crude
workaround to this problem involves using a different row in the grid
for each project.  As the GNOME 3 shell displays all the workspaces in a
single column, that isn't possible.