Food for thought - GNOME-2.8 and multimedia

Hi all,

as young, fresh and juicy maintainer, I thought I'd share some random
ideas that are hopefully good food for thoughts. Please share your
opinions. Those ideas cover GNOME-media (package) and GNOME multimedia
(general) development for GNOME-2.8 and beyond. Consider this some
"rolling of dices".

* there's a patch in bugzilla for GStreamer-based CD support in gnome-cd.
This has the positive side-effect that it now also access CDDB and thus
becomes a whole lot better accessible. Probably needs to go into GNOME
2.8.

* given the increasing media support in GStreamer, do we want to target
for totem-gst in GNOME 2.8 again? If so, separate package or as part of
GNOME-media (easy side-entrance)? Bastien, do you mind totem-gst (rather
than totem-xine - for the obvious legal reasons) going into GNOME-2.8 now?
Too early?

* of course there's Rhythmbox. ;).

* the looks of the ALSA-part of GNOME Volume Control really needs to
improve. This current version looks ... awful (OSS one looks fine,
though).

* and of course there's some pending patches in bugzilla that I'll go
through in the next few days.

Ronald