Necessary Permissions in /dev

Hello:

I have a Handspring Visor Deluxe running PalmOS 3.1H. It is connected via USB to my workstation, which is running a stock Mandrake 8.2 distribution, with the following RPMs installed:

gnome-pilot-conduits-0.8-1mdk
jpilot-0.99.1-0.9mdk
gnome-pilot-0.1.64-3mdk
pilot-link-0.9.5-8mdk
evolution-pilot-1.0.3-1mdk
libpilot-link4-0.9.5-8mdk
libgnome-pilot1-0.1.64-3mdk

None of the sync functions want to work unless I set the owner of /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 to be the current user. On a multi-user system this is clearly unworkable.

I am not using devfs on this system because of other crippling problems that crop up when I enable that feature.

Is there another "trick" that you all are using to get around this permission problem, i.e. creating a group called "pilot", changing the group of the relevant devices to "pilot," and adding all potential pilot-syncers to that group? I tried something similar (adding users to group "uucp," which currently owns all /dev/ttyUSB? devices), but it did not let me sync in this configuration.

Dan
--
Daniel Lyddy		sprocket path berkeley edu
California PATH/UC Berkeley Computer Science

"I don't know what I'm doing but I've gotta get things done."
	 -- David Fenton, 'Daylight Titans'