Re: [patch] fix libgnomecups attribute settings

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 15:23 -0400, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 07:03:02PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since retrieval of printer attributes when gnome_cups_printer_get is
> > called is now asynchronous, this poses a problem - callers don't know
> > when the attributes (description, URI, etc) are valid.
> >
> > The attached patch adds an API method to know when the attributes have
> > been set for the first time.  What we do inside eggcups when a new
> > printer is detected is call gnome_cups_printer_get, attach to its
> > attributes-changed callback, and at that point we know the attributes
> > are valid (in particular the URI).
>
> Do we want something like that in gnomeprint too ?

It's actually not necessary in libgnomeprint/libgnomeprintui - if we
don't have the attributes yet, then we just display empty strings to the
user until they come in.  We will always have the printer name, which is
what we really need.

> Seems reasonable.  Please notify me when it goes in.  I'll patch
> gnome-cups-manager and bump the version req.

Ok, it's in now.