Suggestion for better utilising screen space when using a workspace

Hey all,
I find myself quite often resizing windows so I can read two, three or sometimes even four windows all at once on a single workspace. It's always quite a fiddly process and I would love to see gnome 3 / gnome-shell support some sort of window management allowing me to better utilise my screen-space. I don't know if this would fall under gnome-shell's remit or not? I've heard windows 7 allows users to have a vertical separator, I don't know if Mac has anything like this, if it does I've not seen it.

The issue:
Monitors tend to be getting bigger and wider, having a single window/application occupying the full window is sometimes inefficient. I think gnome needs some way of partitioning off your workspace.

Suggestion:
My suggestion would allow users to draw boxes on their screen (which would snap to window edges / other boxes), once set the borders could be dragged and resized or the box removed entirely. Windows could then be dragged in to the box and if dragged near the top edge they would automatically fill the box. Alternatively you could put an application in the middle of the box and then when you use the maximize functionality it would maximize the application to the box rather than the full window. Boxes could be a bit unsightly so they wouldn't be visible unless the user is currently dragging a window, hovering over the maximize icon or if they are in the box setup system.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions or feedback would be good!

- Jimmy

*** Sparkle Interactive ***
http://www.sparkleInteractive.co.uk