Workspaces

Hello, I have been testing out Gnome Shell for a week now, I am really
enjoying the progress, but I have one suggestion:

It seem to me that when the Activity menu is activated and all the
windows are squished together in the bottom-right portion of the
screen, it would make more sense to use workspaces only as a way to
visually organize windows, but not to represent multiple desktops.
When you have more than one workspace, the desktop and wallpaper are
duplicated, causing unnecessary visual clutter. On top of that,
putting windows in boxes is a simpler concept for my grandmother than
having multiple desktops. (Why do I need another one if I already have
one? Are the desktops different? Do they have different files on
them?).

The actual behavior of "workspaces" (dragging, dropping etc) needs not changing.

Hope to get some thoughts,

Alexei