Re: GNOME and ANDROID

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 17:50 +0200, Daniele Guerrieri wrote:
> >> I'm trying to say that it is not customizable; i know there are
> >> extensions,  but i have
> >> no time to learn to write also extensions
> >
> > Numerous extensions are already available;  I can pull at least a dozen
> > via the openSUSE repos.  You probably don't need to write one.  This is
> > *no different* than customization on GNOME 2 - someone else implemented
> > the customization option and the user just utilized it.  A bunch of crap
> > was *bundled* with GNOME2, which is the only difference [and
> > distributions can still choose to do that].

> ok, but what if i want to put a link on my desktop?
> why should i download gnome-tweak-tool?

Well, that's different from where we came in. Having icons on the
desktop or not has nothing to do with 'tablet' vs 'desktop', it's just
whether you like that design. 'Freedom for the user' is another red
herring: no desktop can offer the user complete freedom. If GNOME 3 is
fundamentally designed in such a way that icons on the desktop don't fit
in with its flow at all, it makes no sense to just whack in icons on the
desktop as an option in case someone decides they want it. The design
has to be consistent.

GNOME 3.0 is missing a few planned features which are intended to allow
you to do the things you might have done previously by using icons on
the desktop; these should show up in 3.2 or 3.4. If you look for
'finding and reminding' on the GNOME wiki you should find some
information about this.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey