Re: Fwd: Instant Message notifications

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 11:41 +0200, Elia Cogodi wrote:
> Sure, not everybody has touch screens, mouse wheels or touchpads with
> gestures, but...
>
> - AFAIK the trigger area for the message tray is 1 pixel high.
> Thus left and middle click on scroll bar should work ok as long as the
> user doesn't slam into the very bottom.

The message tray area is one mile high[1] ;) and it is separated by few
pixels from the button which itself may be small. Other case is the
close button on really big dialogs. If you go to the corner it is very
easy to trigger it by accident - at least I find it easy and I belive I
don't have mouse skills below the average.

[1] http://joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000063.html

> - trouble seems to mostly arise when you have no status bar in the
> maximized window, because that's when your arrow button falls in the
> very corner.
> By default editors such as gedit or libreoffice writer (where the
> functionality of 1-line-height scrolling has more sense) actually do
> show a status bar, or in the case of libreoffice writer even have
> custom navigation widgets in that corner, above the status bar.

Take the epiphany and long article then. I may check with what
applications but I do trigger notification bar "by accident" although
with lower and lower frequency.

> - When you _really, really_ don't want any chrome to show, ever, I
> think the correct behaviour would actually be to encourage fullscreen:
> tap F11, work as you want without seeing anything of the shell unless
> you willingly press the super key for overview or exit the fullscreen
> mode.

I often have always on top enabled because I concurrently want to have
documentation and text editor/terminal/ide opened. I believe the
always-on-top being the killer feature of Linux WM - both my friends
(both technical/power users and non-technical/advanced-but-not-power
users) wish it was present on "other" operating systems.

Regards

PS. I'm not UI designer but don't we have a paradox - we hide
notification bay to save space then nearly 'require' to have status bar
to 'waste' it. I know we have to take care about both big screens as
well as netbooks but maybe on highier resolution, where the buttons are
relatively smaller, we may just not hide message tray? Just an idea
(from person with advantage of ignorance in UI design).