Re: The good, the bad, the insane

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Martin Häsler <martin haesler googlemail com> wrote:
Hi ,

<snip/>
The insane:

Suspend/Shutdown:

I think this is the first design decision ever made in any desktop which made me angry.
Leaving aside, that suspend - resume doesn't work with many laptops and especially desktop PC's,
I simply cannot understand the thought process behind this decision. There was no need to change the old behaviour,
and to say making Suspend default, because it would save energy, is so blatantly wrong, I'm at a loss for words.
That a machine uses less energy when turned off should be obvious.
Please go back to the old behaviour and make a lot of users happy. (especially us treehugging Germans :) )

Agreed. For Desktop's it seems obvious. But, even for laptops, the universal "gesture" for suspending is closing the lid. How many people actually suspend their laptops by opening the menu and click that suspend button? My guess is not many, comparatively.

And, the "preferred" way of powering down by logging out and doing it in GDM is surely not optimal given that most machines are single user systems. A laptop is practically by definition a single user system. Gnome Shell is just placing obstacles in a user's way there.

IMHO, the menu should show "Power off" by default, and switch to suspend on pressing ALT -- so, the reverse of what we have currently.

The only good thing about the present system is you will probably get a lot of pissed off users who experience problems suspending and maybe a few of them will actually report bugs. It seems like a high price to pay...

Jesse