Re: Wayland/GNOME Shell/FreeRDP Server Support?

Hi,

There is not much information about the plans for remote desktop support
under GNOME on Wayland yet. This is mostly my fault, as I have not
documented the plan for this anywhere. I'll summarize it here anyway,
and create bugs for progress tracking later.

The idea is to outsource the remote desktop protocol implementation and
client interaction to an external daemon. This external daemon will
communicate with mutter/gnome-shell via a set of D-Bus protocols. One of
these protocols are the remote desktop session initiation protocol,
which will at least initially be Mutter specific. This protocol will be
used to create a remote desktop session, where the client (remote
desktop daemon) sends input events and other related things. The pixels,
however, will be communicated via pinos[0], which can function as a
gstreamer based audio/video IPC.

There has already been some progress regarding this, including a
work-in-progress D-Bus API implementation mutter side[1], and a
daemon[2] that so far can talk VNC, but as pinos is still a moving
target, it hasn't been suitable to land nor expose anything quite yet.
Note that right now, these are not compatible with GNOME 3.22 or master.
I hope this gives some clarity.

Jonas

[0] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~wtay/pinos/
[1] https://github.com/jadahl/mutter/commits/wip/remote-desktop