Re: second report: cheese integration

Bastien Nocera schrieb:
On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 12:28 +0200, Felix Kaser wrote:
Bastien Nocera schrieb:
On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 12:12 +0200, Felix Kaser wrote:
<snip>
After having a working slim dbus version I will try to get the whole thing into gtk-file-chooser! At the moment this sounds really scary to me, but lets see how it will be!
Why do you want to put it in a GtkFileChooser?

the idea was to integrate cheese across the gnome desktop! before applying at summer of code, I talked a lot with Daniel Siegel, how to integrate cheese. first we thought to make cheese dbus-capable and then give other applications the possibility to use cheese! But then I thought about all the web-applications which use avatar pictures...like facebook, miaplaza, studivz and so on! It would be great, if gtk-file-chooser has the possibility to access cheese via dbus, so you have automatically integrated cheese in every program that uses gtk-file-chooser (which is nearly every application running under gnome)! I think this could be possible, because gtk-file-chooser has already the ability to search files, and thats provided with tracker which is also outside of gtk-file-chooser!

You have the possibility to call cheese over dbus from Firefox, pidgin, Evolution, GIMP, etc!

sounds nice doesn't it? =)

Not really, given that Cosimo's work would make finding avatar pictures,
or any other types of media pretty straight forward.

99% of the applications wouldn't use it, so I'm not sure integrating it
with the filechooser is such a good idea.

my project isn't about finding media....I see the use cases more in the field, where you don't want to use a picutre you have, but you want to shoot a new one! It happens often that I'm in front of a avatar-choosing-function on some website or application and don't really have one that fits! Some are too funny, some too crazy, some have a bad quality!

This gives the user the possibility to take a new picture, a serious one if a serious one is needed, a funny one when the user prefers a funny one...

Ok, you can say the user has to start cheese, shoot a picture, save it, open the website where he needs the photo (or also another application which wants a picture, like gdmphotosetup), search for the avatar picture and finally uses it!

In my opinion some people will use it, some won't! But thats another problem...I for my part don't use the "Search" function in gtk-file-chooser, but if I need it, it's there...