Re: Tagging & Emblems Weekly Reports

Hi,

after meeting with my mentor Christian in Passau I had to spend a few
days reorganizing our thoughts and ideas for the project.
One idea we came up with and which I now pursue and already implemented
is to store the tags(and maybe other metadata like notes etc.) for files
in their extended attributes. This way tags are not lost when files are
moved or copied outside nautilus or gio/gvfs. Of course XAs have to be
activated(which is just one option for mount) for this and also
supported by for instance coreutils, tar ... Patches for those already
exist and I don't know why they don't find their way into the releases
of these tools. But I guess and hope they will soon as this support is
also needed for ACLs.

This week I will work on nautilus using my functionality to store tags.
Also, I will have a look this week on the storage of tags when XAs can't
be used. In this case they have to be stored in a db.

I am also pondering about the idea to store the tags always in a db even
if XAs can be set so that a retrieval later on becomes much quicker. In
this case one has to think about synchronization issues between XA<->db
and how to handle those...

A lot to do and think for this week. Hope to see as many of you as
possible at GUADEC...

Best Regards

Clemens