Re: [GSOC2009] Gnome related project idea

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Mario Gonzalez <gonzalemario gmail com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Mario, I'm a Gnome Foundation member since 2008, I was in
> GUADEC 2008 and I talked there about gDesklets (Gnome Desktop
> Applets). I've got an idea related to this but I don't know if this is
> reliable because it's not a direct Gnome idea, but gdesklets instead.
> Do you think the next proposal could be included here?
> http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2009/Ideas
>
> "
> gDesklets (GNOME Desktop Applets) is a cool project and its goal is
> allow to people/hackers use/create small and nice desktop applications
> mixing usefulness and "eye candy". The framework core provides many
> basic characteristics, but if they are not enough, hackers can easily
> create new ones also using a Python API (Controls).
>
> What I would like to improve/create is:
>
>  * Integrate D-BUS into the core. That would allow to get more info
> about the system, for instance: if I'm running a RSS or forecast
> applet, it should know when to access to a remote feed ("Can I connect
> to Internet?",....). Also, D-BUS would allow us have communication
> between applets, which it's not possible to do it so far.
>  * gDesklets uses a client/server model, however it's a desktop
> application, so it has got to use the DBUS integration to send/receive
> orders/signals between them (Client and Server)
>  * it supports UTF-8 but it doesn't support multiple languages. I
> would like to integrate gettext into the core, in that way applets
> will look coherent. (Applets must "talk" the same language than the
> desktop)
> "
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Mario.
>
> --
> http://www.mgonzalez.cl/

I think gDesklets is appropriate for inclusion in Gnome set of
proposed ideas.  I think in general any project under Gnome's svn or
specifically targetted at Gnome but that isn't applying for
organizational status is fair game for proposals as long as we can
find a mentor for it.

Cheers,

Adam