Announcing gnomevfs-mount 0.0.1 (very first version).

Hello folks.

Since I saw gmailfs (1), I wondered why gnome does not have a way to
mount gnomevfs-uris on the linux filesystem.

I have taken a look into fuse (2) and I realized it would be very easy
doing the same with gnomevfs.

Then, I've written a small program, named gnomevfs-mount (3) available
in my primates (currently, but it could be moved to a SourceForge
project soon).

http://primates.ximian.com/~sandino/gnomevfs-mount-0.0.1.tar.bz2

Intalling it is easy, just ./configure && make && make install

For rpm based distributions (RedHat, Fedora, Mandrake) a spec is
provided inside the tarball, then you can generate rpms with:

rpmbuild -ta gnomevfs-mount-0.0.1.tar.bz2

Right now, it does not support authentification.
Then, if you want to mount sftp uris, you have to either provide the
password as part of the uri or put your ssh key into the ssh server.

Example 1:

---------------+
IN TERMINAL 1: |
---------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

$ ls libgnomeui-2.8.0.tar.bz2                                                         |
libgnomeui-2.8.0.tar.bz2                                                              |
$                                                                                     |
$ mkdir mount                                                                         |
$ gnomevfs-mount $(pwd)/libgnomeui-2.8.0.tar.bz2#bzip2:/#tar:/libgnomeui-2.8.0 mount  |

---------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
IN TERMINAL 2: |
---------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
$ ls mount                                                                            |
aclocal.m4     configure*    file-chooser/  libgnomeui/     NEWS                      |
AUTHORS        configure.in  glade/         ltmain.sh       po/                       |
ChangeLog      COPYING.LIB   gtk-doc.make   Makefile.am     README                    |
config.guess*  demos/        images/        Makefile.in     test-gnome/               |
config.h.in    depcomp*      INSTALL        missing*                                  |
config.sub*    doc/          install-sh*    mkinstalldirs*                            |
$                                                                                     |
$ head -n 9 mount/NEWS                                                                |
libgnomeui 2.8.0                                                                      |
----------------                                                                      |

What's new since 2.7.2                                                                |

* Bug fixes:                                                                          |
        - Improved GnomeDruid theme support (Rodney Dawes)                            |
        - File chooser backend fixes (Federico Mena Quintero,                         |
                                      Colin Walters)                                  |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Example 2:

---------------+
IN TERMINAL 1: |
---------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

$ gnomevfs-mount ftp://ftp.gnome.org mount                                            |

---------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
IN TERMINAL 2: |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

$ ls -l mount/Public                                                                  |
lr--r-----  1 root root 3 jul 30 14:27 mount/Public -> pub/                           |
$                                                                                     |
$ tail mount/welcome.msg                                                              |

This ftp server belongs to ACC and the disk space is generously sponsored             |
by South Pole AB and CodeFactory AB.                                                  |

If you have any questions please contact <%E>, and we will do our best to             |
help you.  Please note that unauthorized uploading of copyrighted material            |
is prohibited by law and we will not tolerate it.                                     |

Please use http://ftp.acc.umu.se/ whenever possible.                                  |

$                                                                                     |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Current missed or broken features:

1)No support for authentification.
2)The reported size of the files is always wrong.
3)No cache for operations.
4)Error handling fairly incomplete.
5)Not well documented.

People, I need patches and help to improve this program.

The main priority now (IMHO) is adding support for authentification
(maybe using some gnome-authentification-manager, no idea).

I'm at your service by email, or:
Gabber: tigrux jabber org
ICQ:    45507615
Yahoo:  sandino_flores(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com

Thanks.