Re: My little wishes list on VFS

Hi,

2006/1/7, dannym <danny milo gmx net>:
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 03.01.2006, 13:38 +0800 schrieb Shu Hung (Koala):

> VFS is set and mount by user. Different server ( e.g. FTP, SMB, WebDAV)
> may have different encoding but not all protocols have encoding
> information
> carried.
>
> I have setup a FTP server on my Windows with Filezilla Server. My
> Windows
> workstation uses big5 (Chinese Traditional) as default encoding. When
> I use
> VFS to mount it, I always get filenames like "This is My XXXXX.mpg
> (invalid unicode)"
> and I can do nothing on it.

I see

> I'm not sure if auto-detect is the best idea.

No.

> Encoding detection for Chinese
> characters always goes wrong. If I take my experience on browser,

>  detection
> get wrong result 1 time out of 20. If auto-detection get me wrong,
> user will
> need a way to fix it.

Yes. I'm arguing that one should put a info file containing the encoding
on the FTP *server* instead and gnome-vfs should read that to find the
encoding.

I doubt if this is good for compatibility. If most ordinary ftp clients / ftp server don't do that, we won't get this information. Though I hate to use Windows but Explorer manage to get Chinese encoding correct (maybe because it has a 'default encoding for non-unicode program'). Others Windows client ( e.g. Filezilla) get things correct automatically, too.

I think instead of asking all FTP over the world to put an encoding file on it, its better to do sonething locally, like having an "Advanced Setting" for filesystem encoding.

i.e.
ftp server:

encoding.info
foo.txt
data.blabla

encoding.info containing the actual encoding to use.

> I think it is better to give user an "Advanced" option menu like
> Filezilla 3.

Did you see the output of "iconv -l" ? especially it's length (number of
encodings)

I saw it. I think user knows what encoding he / she would want on a server. It is not much choose if you know the locality. For example, we only have UTF-8 and Big5 for Traditional Chinese. One can have enough hints on their browser. I think a blank input box (like the "Advanced" for ICQ accoount in GAIM) is good enough for most people like me.

I've attached the "Charset" tab on Filezilla 3 site manager. The autodetection doesn't work yet but it is a good thing to try. I think it is good to have something like this on gnome-vfs.

> By default, VFS will autodetect the encoding of the filesystem. But
> user
> can, on other hand, set the default encoding of the filesystem to
> mount.

[...]

sorry, I miss understood that you are suggesting auto-detection. I don't think that is useful to me actually. I need more control on that.

> If not, user should be able
> to fix it on GUI. I think an "Advanced Option" button and extra option
> dialog is useful in case.

I'd like the encoding to be specified on the ftp server instead (in an
extra file that is served)

It would be best if FTP protocol itself provide encoding information like WebDAV :)
I don't think all public FTP will follow that. I'd like to have Gnome more compatible
to what we already have on the internet.

>         >
>         >      1. agreement between menu icon reaction and desktop
>         icon reaction
>         >         it is a little bit confuseing with the desktop icons
>         and menu
>         >         icons. If you right click
>         >         the icon menu, the folder will show up. However, if
>         you right
>         >         click the desktop icon,
>         >         it gives you a menu for properties and unmount. It
>         would be
>         >         best if I can get the
>         >         menu for properties and unmount when I right click
>         either one
>         >         icon.
>
>         What do you mean? What menu icon? Where?
>
> In Gnome 2.12, there are 3 menu on the top-left corner: "Application",
> "Location"
> and "Settings". Creating a new VFS will automatically create an icon
> on "Location"
> menu and the destop. If you right click icon on "Location" menu, you
> will open
> the folder. If you right click the desktop menu, you will open an
> option menu right
> next to the icon.

yeah... true. That's because of the menu. Can be fixed though :)

How can I fix it?

>         Yeah, admin setting, desireable. As a side note, having ~ 100
>         volume
>         desktop icons show up on the desktop of a storage area network
>         is weird,
>         believe me ;)
>
> I think it is best to put it in "Advanced Option" too.
>

>         What menu is that?
>
> The menu that you'll get when you right click a desktop icon.
>

>         >         If so, right-clicking the icon on location menu
>         would give a
>         >         menu with these options:
>         >              1. Add this item to panel
>         >              2. Add this item to desktop
>         >              3. Unmount thie filesystem
>         >
>         What application?
>
> Gnome's "Location Menu"

Yeah, good idea

>         > These are just my little wishes to VFS and I think most
>         people would
>         > be happy to see these.
>
>         Well, first and foremost I'd like the underlying problems to
>         be fixed.
>         If that is not possible, I'd like workarounds for admin
>         settings on the
>         _server_ side be implemented and if that fails too, I'd like
>         it to break
>         really badly so the server author gets a lot of complaints and
>         fixes the
>         darn program :)
>
>         cheers,
>           Danny

> Encoding may be a problem of the FTP protocol itself. Unless FTP will
> have a big revolution over encoding,

> it is better to find other solution.

Like putting a file containing the encoding on the FTP server :)

> Thanks for reply
>
> Koala Yeung

cheers,
  Danny

Koala Yeung
P.S. I've attached the "Charset" tab on Filezilla 3 site manager. The autodetection doesn't work yet but it is a good thing to try. I think it is good to have something like this on gnome-vfs.