Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] ILS, big problem

Hi Paul,

I'm happy you are reading the devel ml ;)

> I'm afraid I don't understand why this is a problem. ILS lists people
> who wish to be in a directory. It isn't designed to guarantee that
> these people are reachable. Suppose, for example, that I wish to
> register with an ILS server but configure my firewall to only allow
> a known subset of people to contact me. Does that make me incorrectly
> configured? Suppose, the ILS server has a check at registration to
> see if the stated port is reachable, I could just allow connections
> from the ILS server but from nowhere else.

Agreed, but most people are using ILS to call other people. When their
port is unreachable, there are 80% chances that the rest of the firewall
is not configured at all, and that they are just waiting for a miracle
from god or thinking that GM is crap because it doesn't work.

Seeing that only 82 persons on a 232 total are reachable breaks the
whole concept of ILS for me. We provide a service, where people can
register for 2 things :
- to get called by others (or then they can just be invisible)
- to get a callto URL

If they want to get called by others, and are unreachable, they
shouldn't stay in the listing.
If they want to get a callto URL, and are unreachable, they shouldn't
stay in the listing.

Most users do not even know what a codec is (from a recent poll), so do
not expect them to filter the H.323 traffic from some IP's.

> DNS lists hosts and mail servers etc, but nowhere is it guaranteed
> that you can connect to them. What is the difference here?

There is no difference. But imagine that you are looking for a phone
number in a directory, and that you only find wrong numbers... What is
the difference here? ;)