Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] FYP on video conferencing.

Hi Kenny,

>   Thanks for the opinions. I'm really appreciate that. After reading all your
> comments, I think I would try to modify the sources of GNOMEMeeting instead of
> building a new one, and add some features to it if I could.
>   I've to admit that my project is not a brand new one, but what I'm doing for
> the FYP is not the whole part of the project. The whole project consists of a
> Linux based video conferencing system, a security monitoring system and a PDA
> video conferencing system. And I'm responsible for the first part.

ok, this makes your point a bit clearer. But still, what is the sense of
your part of the software to do with GM and what is your goal to modify?
I mean, having a "Videoconferencing Part" could be achieved by "apt-get
install gnomemeeting" given that you already have a working
installation.
What's the part of "Video conferencing part" having to do with "securiy
monitoring" and how will they be linked? Are they both to be run on the
same machine or are you planning satellite systems? What hardware needs
to be supported? Are there any customers foreseen, that will have to
operate a satellite system?

Thanks for sheding some light on these background issues. ;)

>   As I'm inexperienced in modifying the source code, do you guys have any
> suggestions on what should I start with? Are there any documentation or web
> sites that could help me?

Depends on what you want to do and what basis you start coding from. Be
it, that you might have GTK coding experience, you could just read the
code of GM. Assuming that you have Un*x know-how you might want to start
reading the devel-ml archive and assuming that you have no idea what GM
is all about, you might want to read all ml-archives plus the bugzilla.
=)

--
Best regards,
 Kilian