Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] GnomeMeeting in the very near future

Le mar, 27/04/2004 à 09:17 +0200, Miguel Rodríguez a écrit :
> I don't want to impose anything on anybody. I just feel that developers
> should be able to use gnome26 features in the cvs version if the next
> stable version will depend on it.
>
> If a user finds it difficult to use the cvs version, then he/she should
> use the stable version. On the other hand, if he/she feels brave enough
> to cope with the inherent difficulties in using development code, they
> are more than welcome to test, report bugs, send patches and so on.
>
> Just wanted to clarify my position.

OK, then I will clarify mine.

I perfectly agree with you. We are a GNOME 2.6 application and must make
an extensive use of GNOME 2.6 features. However, the requirement you
impose to CVS packagers is a bit excessive because :
- it only fixes a bug that few people will encounter
- removing that requirement doesn't remove the feature you added
- and even if it was removing that feature, it wouldn't be a big loss in
functionnality

I agree that we have to push things in the GNOME direction, but do not
impose to our poor CVS packagers to upgrade half of their desktop just
to fix a bug.

We have the same problem with GTK+ 2.4. I would love to port GM to pure
GTK+ 2.4. But if we do this, we have to keep an implementation with GTK+
2.2 because GTK+ 2.4 is not ready for windows. So I don't do it. But if
there was no windows port in sight, I would do it directly, because it
would be a major step forward. Your bugfix is required for 1.2, but it
is not a major step forward. I'm not even sure GNOME 2.6 packs are
already available for all major dists.

Damien