Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Gnomemeeting + soundhardware :(

Hi,

thanks for your fast response :)

> Le ven 15/08/2003 à 23:52, Tom Hummel a écrit :
> > Hi guys
> hi Tom,
>

> > i hope u can help me with my gnomemeeting problem, so i can keep contact
> > with my girlfriend ;)
> >
> > The trigger for writing this, was a point in your FAQ
> > [snip]
> > 3.4. Can I ask questions about soundcard or webcam configuration to the
> > GnomeMeeting mailing-list?
> >
> > The configuration of soundcards and webcams is related to your
> > distribution vendor, or to the respective mailing lists of the drivers
> > you are using. However, if your soundcard or webcam works well with all
> > applications except GnomeMeeting, you are welcome to mail us.
> > [/snip]
> >
> > and that's it.
> > I'm using a soundblaster audigy, with a selfcompiled alsa, on a debian
> > sid, soundcard works well with every other application i'm using, but
> > Gnomemeeting reports an error at startup and terminates.
> > [snip]
> > GnomeMeeting can't be used without any audiohardware. Please install a
> > sound or quicknet device
> > [snip]
> > (freely transplated from german;))
> >
> the first thing i am thinking of by reading this is:
> do you have an empty /dev/sound/ dir ?
> if yes GM thinks you use devfs and searches for audio devices in
> /dev/sound/ even if they are in /dev.
> then second if you don't have this empty dir, try to check the
> permissions on audio devices for the user you want to use GM.

no there's no /dev/sound/, asked a friend, he's using the same
configuration, his system also lacks /dev/sound
stupid question: what's the purpose of /dev/sound if GM only supports
OSS sound? or is /dev/dsp usually located there?

..tom