Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Performances

Le sam 30/08/2003 à 22:18, Kilian Krause a écrit :
> Hi Alexis,
>
> > I have a question, maybe stupid, but : when there is no communication,
> > the webcam shows an image, with all the caracteristics of quality and
> > velocity of this webcam; When there is a communication, all these
> > caracteristics dramatically decrease. My question is : when I am in
> > communication, what is the reason for seing my local image so bad ? Is
> > it because of the increase of the work to do for the computer ? Does my
> > contact sees what I see ? Is there a way to increase the quality during
> > the conversation (with ADSL lines) ?
>
> to me this sounds like a very normal effect:
> - while there is no connection you see directly the image from the
> webcam as good as the driver is able to show it.
> - when you start a connection your image quality drops to the default
> for DSL (70% or less, don't remember), but you should have a reasonable
> framerate
> - the cpu consumption goes up a little as the h261 codec needs to
> compress your video
>
> What you can do now is to tune the "video codec" parameters in the Prefs
> of GM to suit your liking. The available bandwidth limits you however to
> have either high framerate (faster changes) or quality (better image
> quality, not so "blocky").

OK, I will do that, but, when I change the settings during a
communication, are these changes active during this, or must I cut and
begin a new  one to apply them ?

I saw that the settings were 40 % of minimal quality. If I can do that
during the conversation I will increse 10 % to 10 %. If not. Concerning
the minimal image/second, does it change a lot if I touch it ?

> If you think you "ruined" your setup, you can return anytime to the
> known default through the druid. Enjoy testing the options and please
> give us feedback what's the better default choice for you, so we can at
> least consider changing the defaults in the distribution.

Another question : I saw that mu soundcard was not able to be broken
into two programs (gnomemeeting and xmms forexample). I chose ALSA
drivers, I thought that it could be used by two different program. Is
there a reason ?