Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] More webcam problems

On Tuesday 04 Nov 2003 08:20, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le mar 04/11/2003 à 01:03, Norman a écrit :
> > Hi,
> > In an earlier thread I asked for help with my Creative
> > PD1001c webcam which I wanted to use with gnomemeeting.
> > Well after many tries at compiling various versions of the
> > ov511 driver and gnomemeeting I got a new version of Mandrake
> > Linux (9.2) and installed that. Now I have a different mess!
> > Although I can see /dev/video0 as a symlink to
> > /dev/v41/video0 I do not have that choice as a video device
> > or in configuration in gnomemeeting. The only choice I now
> > have is Picture. One thing which does now work instead of
> > freezing Gm is detect devices. So any idea where I look now
> > please?
> > tia,
>
> Check your permissions, try as root, check that the device is
> not open when you detect the device... Check that you have a
> /proc/video/dev directory containing the available devices.

ls -l /proc/video/dev
total 0
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Nov  4 19:30 video0
What should this be?
as root chmod 666 /proc/video/dev/video0 does not change
permissions.
ls -l /dev/vid*
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root   root 10 Nov  4 19:25 /dev/video -> v4l/video0
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root   root 10 Nov  4 19:25 /dev/video0 -> v4l/video0
[root norman dev]# chmod 666 /dev/video0
[root norman dev]# ls -l /dev/vid*
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root  10 Nov  4 19:25 /dev/video -> v4l/video0
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root  10 Nov  4 19:25 /dev/video0 -> v4l/video0
again no change.

> Assuming that permissions are correct and that /proc/video/dev
> is also correct, if GnomeMeeting doesn't recognize the webcam,
> it is simply because it tried to open it and that it failed. If
> it failed, that is not GnomeMeeting dependant, not pwlib
> dependant, but driver dependant.
This is the same webcam which was seen and was selectable as
/dev/video0 prior to the changes I mentioned.