Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Mise à jour GnomeMeeting

Hi Damien,

thanks for you answer.

> > I'm trying to use gnome meeting on both a desktop computer with a VT8233
> > (AC97) audio card and an IBM Thinkpad A21p. Both are running RedHat 9.0
> > and the version of GnomeMeeting that comes with it, i.e. 0.96.0.
> >

> That is fairly outdated... We are at GnomeMeeting 1.0.2 now.

I know, but it doesn't look like the new release tried to fix that
particular problem. I'll try to go for the new release anyway, but this
means I'll have to install many packages which may be in conflict with
those already installed.

> > On the desktop, I tried to start GnoemMeeting as a normal user and it
> > complained about a key that is not correct (0). So I started as root, and
> > it worked, up to a problem of audio (I'll come back to that latter).
> >

> Probably you have wrong permissions on the default GConf schemas (see
> FAQ).

No. That's what I explain latter.

> > On the laptop, I had the same problem at start up, and went to root, and
> > started the thing, and everything went right. Then I restarted
> > GnomeMeeting as normal user, and it worked. I did that several time, and
> > once, with no apparent reason, it did not start, complaining about that
> > key again. In the FAQ it is said that this is related to permissions of
> > some files, which I check thoroughly. They were all ok. Five minutes
> > latter I restarted GnomeMeeting, and this time it worked. So, without
> > doing anything, I went from "work" to "don't work" to "work". What is
> > exactly going on ?
> >

> Probably a GConf bug on RedHat 9.

Maybe. Is there a "good" distribution ? Which one would you recommand ?

> > Back to the audio problem. On the desktop I have the sound card working
> > fine, at least for output: I can listen to CDs or watch DVDs. When I go to
> > configure audio, GnomeMeeting only display /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer for
> > audio player and recorder and audio player mixer and recorder mixer
> > respectively. When I try the "test audio" button, it complain that it
> > can't open the device /dev/dsp, although I'm superuser, and the
> > protections are ok, I checked them. That was the end of my tests on the
> > desktop.
>
> Check that no other software is using them (lsof /dev/dsp). Also make
> sure your problem is not "it can open for playing but not for recording
> or vice-versa" which woudl indicate a full-duplex problem (and the need
> to install ALSA).
>

> > On the Thinkpad, I had the same reduced set of devices available, but the
> > audio test worked fine with the internal microphone. I started to play
> > with it, but the sound level received at the other end of the connectin
> > was rather low, regardless of all the settings I could do on my side. And
> > at some point, when going through the configuration druid, I was offered
> > /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1, and /dev/mixer and /dev/mixer1. So for the
> > recorder, I choose /dev/dsp1 and /dev/mixer1. It worked much better. The
> > sound level was much higher, both during the test and at the other end of
> > a connection. The nest time I tried GnomeMeeting again, dsp1 and mixer1
> > had disappeared. Play with plugging and unplugging the video, external
> > mike before or after launching GnomeMeeting, I managed to have it re-offer
> > me dsp1 and mixer1. But It's not reproductible.
> >

> That's a bug of your distribution. Probably the module offering dsp1 and
> mixer1 is not loaded. Nothing GnomeMeeting can do about.

Where could I find info on how the system decide to load or not a given
module ? I know about lsmod, modprobe, ... but that doesn't tell me why
the system should load a module offering dsp1 or not.

Anyway, I'll try to find time to install the new version of GnomeMeeting.
Hope it'll work.

Regards, Jean-Marc Petit

[ Jean-Marc Petit                                             ----- ]
[ LAOB/Observatoire de Besancon   * tel: (33) [0]381 666 929   \./  ]
[ 41 bis Avenue de l'Observatoire * fax: (33) [0]381 666 944   /.\  ]
[ BP 1615                         * email:                    / . \ ]
[ F-25010 Besancon cedex          *    petit obs-besancon fr  ----- ]