Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Open discussion about ILS/SIP/FWD

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 16:57 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le vendredi 27 ao�04 �7:48 +0300, Johnny Strom a �it :
>
> > Well I don't know all new Voip phones and such things use SIP nowdays,
> > some dose not support H323 anymore at least that is the impression I got.
> >

> That's right, but I think it would be more work to remove it than to
> keep it ;)
>
> Moreover, Cisco, Alcatel, Avaya are still using H.323 and not SIP for
> their VoIP systems. Same for Polycom for videoconferencing. H.323 is far
> from dead ;)

All vendors are talking SIP.

At a recent conference I went to I certainly got the impression SIP was
the 'buz'. In video conferencing Polycom have announced they will do SIP
this year.  Tandberg indicate next year.  MCU vendors like radvison
support SIP now.

In the VoIP world all vendors (including traditional PABX makers) are
talking about cheap, commodity SIP handsets.

SIP is the future - certainly for VoIP but also for video conferencing.

That being said, I don't thing h323 should be removed from gm.  Just
that SIP is needed as well.