Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: GnomeMeeting 1.2 and Skype

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 23:30 +1000, Craig Southeren wrote:
> I've used SKype and the audio quality sounds good, but no better than
> (say) OpenH323 using iLBC 15.2kbps

The audio in Skype sounded better than what I had with GnomeMeeting, but
maybe it is due to codec selection. I don't remember using iLBC in GM.

> It was also not apparent to me that Skype has anything special as far as
> echo suppression. I use a headset for my VoIP calls, which means there
> is no audio feedback on my end, but I can still hear a slight echo of my
> own voice from the other end.

I don't have echo cancellation with Skype.

> What *was* nice about the Skype client is that it worked first time from
> behind my Linux NAT, with no special configuration needed. I've heard
> reports of others that are not so lucky, but I have to admit that was
> pretty cool.

That's why I've been using Skype lately.

I've managed to do WAR walking with my laptop and use random WiFi access
points successfully. With GnomeMeeting I fear this wouldn't have been
possible.

But I warn all the people I met of the problems related to skype, and I
point them to the GM news page article "Skype is hype".

Jerome