Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM and Radvision MCU v3

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 09:19 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le jeudi 14 octobre 2004 �4:25 +0930, Malcolm Caldwell a �it :
>
> > We certainly don't want that to happen.
> >
> > Is there any harm in leaving the 10 lines that enable h.263 if it is
> > available? Of note the code is surrounded by #ifdefs - IMHO the lines
> > themselves can't be a problem, as they don't cause any of the h.263 code
> > to be included in the binary.  It would just allow h.263 to work if it
> > were already in openh323.
> >
> > Of course that does not help the fact that openh323 still has to be
> > compiled and distributed with h.263.
> >

> I think that if OpenH323 is compiled with H.263 as plugin, I can
> dynamically add it using the capabilities table without using the
> #ifdefs. But we will see. Ultimately openh323 will have video codecs
> plugin support, that would solve the problem.

Yes.

In the meantime, if gm could be modified to dynamically add the codec
things would improve quite a lot.

After this, anyone with a h.263 enabled openh323 would get gm with
openh323 for free.

Now, at least for rpm based distributions, it should be fairly easy to
     1. Make a rpm of the libavcodec suitable for openh323
     2. Make the spec file allow for the rpm to be built with --define
        'rfc2190 1'

This would mean if someone asks 'how do I make gnomemeeting work with
h.263' we could say, install openh323libavcodec.rpm and rebuild the
openh323 rpm using the command
rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'rfc2190 1' openh323-x.y.z.src.rpm

I don't know about other package management solutions, but this should
be easy enough here.

Also, when openh323 does get plugin codecs, there would be minimal
changes, users would just not have the need to recompile openh323
anymore!