Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM 3.00: a poll, please contribute

Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> To make sure everyone understands,   the purpose of the former
> discussion is to determine a few things :
>
> 1)
> Should the UI stay the same, or be changed? There is a proposition in an
> earlier mail.

Basically the same, please, apart from what's necessary to support new features.

> 2)
> should we stay a softphone with only SIP instant messenging, and nothing
> else?
> OR
> should we have jabber support and become that way a softphone with IM
> capabilities?
> OR
> should we stay a softphone and put our efforts into integration as an
> EXTERNAL component with Jabber clients?

I'd opt for one, could live with two, and prefer three even to two if
it meant some form of gatewaying e.g. to Gaim, without actual integration
of Jabber/various IM protocols into GM. Keep it simple. And possibly
don't add too many dependencies.

> 3)
> What's your profile? Softphone user or chatter?

Softphone user, but no telco guy. I have an * installation at home
for POTS integration, one on the internet to support internet telephony
with family and friends, and do basically all my telephony with GM
(though, as mentioned, currently with XLite while evaluating that beta).

> 4)
> If an MSN client was made available for Linux, would you still use
> GnomeMeeting and why? Would new users use the MSN client or
> GnomeMeeting?

MSN is beyond (or beneath?) my horizon. I know all the Linux chatters take
Skype though already, so no, new users, if they were only to chat, probably
wouldn't take GM, due to the deficiencies of H323 and SIP. So why bother
anyway? Maybe with IAX and encryption some of that ground could be won back.

Regards, Bruno.