Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] ideas..

Le vendredi 16 décembre 2005 à 11:20 +1100, Craig Southeren a écrit :
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:47:51 +0930
> Malcolm Caldwell <malcolm caldwell ntu edu au> wrote:
>
> > I certainly accept the points made in this email.
> >
> > I fully appreciate that the developers of opal, pwlib and gnomemeeting
> > all contribute great work to the projects.  I am sure if anyone involved
> > had the time then they would have implemented video codec plugins by
> > now.  If it seems like I was complaining, I am sorry.
>
> No need to apologise.
>
> I know I am continually frustrated at my inability to find the time to
> do everything I would like to do, especially as I get older. And I know
> other people are just as frustrated.
>
> On the other hand, it's nice to know that people are enthusiatic enough
> about the project to be frustrated (if that makes sense) :)
>
> ..deleted
>
> > I think gm is holding back on implementing h263 via the current
> > mechanism, waiting for the video plugins.
>
> I do not beleive this correct.
>
> Adding support for H.263 in GM takes only a few lines of code, and
> Damien is certainly aware of what needs to be done.
>
> The problem is not one of implementation, but of Damien's legitimate
> concerns regarding the status of the H.263 related patents. He has
> decided not to offer H.263 in the baseline GM code because of these
> concerns.
>
> > Given the status of software patents in Europe, why not include this
> > now?
>
> My understanding is that the issue is far from resolved, and Damien has
> chosen a conservative approach in order to avoid any potential problems.

Indeed, moreover, nobody will escape a full recompilation of
pwlib/openh323/gnomemeeting if they want to include H.263, just because
no Linux distribution will ship with the H.263-enabled code. So that
wouldn't be a big benefit.

Finally, we are now moving to OPAL and that code doesn't exist for OPAL
yet.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-