Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Interest for GM 2.00

Hi Damien,

find my comments inline.

> However, few people are using Asterisk, or a corporate IPBX supporting
> SIP AND a softphone running on GNU/Linux. So I think few people really
> need SIP.

At least we are evaluating the use of an Asterisk box for our company, to
replace our actual system. The chances, as far as I can see, are high, that we
will go with that. :)
Well, we also use Linux/KDE desktops for day to day work, so there are
corporate users wanting to have a Linux softphone client.

> 4) Finally, on the corporate side, where there are less users at least
> on GNU/Linux, you have big companies offering solutions like XTEN,
> developed full-time by talented developers, even though being
> proprietary. But corportate users often do not care about the Open
> Source aspect of things, and big corporations are already offering their
> own softphone working with their IPBX.

Well, in our corporate we are running Linux/KDE on the users desktops, so
there will be used on the corporate side. Well I only tested the 1.X Version
to connect via H.323 to our actual telephone system.

> GnomeMeeting is playing in those 4 fields, but there are now so many
> alternatives, that I wonder if there is still an interest to develop
> GnomeMeeting after 2.00 will have been released. Two years ago, you had
> to use GnomeMeeting if you wanted to do 1), 2), or 4). Currently, there
> are so many alternatives that GnomeMeeting is perhaps unuseful.

Well, with the Asterisk as the telephone system and with the Linux/KDE clients
there are plenty of client tools available, but I am a bit unsure whether they
are that complete like the upcoming 2.0 of GM, with that lot of features.

> So you, GnomeMeeting users, what do you think of that?

> Should I start another project and develop slowly on GnomeMeeting, or
> should I continue full-speed?
Well it depends, what other projects do you have in mind?

Nevertheless, thank you for Gnomemeeting!!

kind regards
Sebastian