Scrolled window / Clist limits

Are there upper limits (except for memory) either
on the number of items allowed in a clist, or how
large an area can be put into a scroll window? I
have a clist in a scroll window containing at
most about 17500 items. When there are only a few
everything is fine - I can scroll up and down the
clist OK, but if there are more items the
scrollbar expands to maximum as if the list is
empty, and scrolling isn't possible. The items in
the clist seem to be there, because I can still
do sorting on it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matthew R.