Re: g_list_append() knows how to duplicate data?

jrb redhat com wrote:

David Ford <david linux com> writes:

I said that because I was told that it acted like the gtk clist in copying
data in spite of the very simple g_list structure.

Someone misled you.

Unfortunately in my travails, I have noted a lot of people misunderstanding
things and trying to help others with good intentions.

Better documentation for gtk/glib would prevent a lot of this.

You can find documentation at http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/

Documentation specific for g_list (including it's memory management
system) is found at:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/glib/glib-doubly-linked-lists.html

Thanks,
-Jonathan

Yes, been there done that many times, thank you.  :)

May I suggest someone who knows the internals reliably, add fields such as:

    data access: <direct|copy> (directly uses the data a user passes|copies the
data a user passes)
    return data volatility: <private|static|allocated> (reused internally,
probably not threadsafe|don't free data this function returns|you should free
data this function returns)

etc..

Different functions do different things and they aren't necessarily readily
apparent, especially to new people.  The books I have don't make much mention
either.

-d

--
..NOTICE fwd: fwd: fwd: type emails will be deleted automatically.
      "There is a natural aristocracy among men. The grounds of this are