Re: Autoinstaller

On 22 Jun 2001 14:18:53 +0200, Cyril LAMY wrote:
the rpm / debian databases, and even if these tools are not available,
allow an easy uninstallation. What do you think about it?

It think that's a good idea because the installation of a program still
a big problem for beginners (dependencies, rights, ...).
It think that if installing programs is more simple, more people will
come on linux.

Maybe, just an idea. Ximian is currently developing a nice
updater/installer tool: Red Carpet. Maybe it could be extended so you
could install your own programs. For example a "My Gnome" channel or
something like that. From the users point of view. I think it would be
logical to have all software management stuff in one place.

In the future, RC could even be integrated with the control panel. Lot's
of people who are familiar with M$ windoze, expect it to be there,
although  i personally like the way ximian solved it.

--
Jeroen Benckhuijsen

Software Engineer
Phoenix Software