Setting a menu item label

Howdy.

I've got several menu items that I need to set dynamically.  I create
thus:

GtkWidget *menu_item;
menu_item = gtk_menu_item_new_with_label ("Label 1");

Later, I try to change them like so:

gtk_label_set_text (GTK_LABEL (gtk_bin_get_child (GTK_BIN
(menu_item))));

This, however, results in a seg fault.  Upon further investigation, I
have discovered that the value returned by the call to gtk_bin_get_child
is NULL.  My understanding, however, is that the label is the child of a
menu item.  What would be the best way to change the label on this menu
item.

Thanks,
Hyrum

--
Need an Open Source Genealogy tool?  Help write one!
http://openancestry.sourceforge.net/