controlling xanim via GTK-(signals)??

Hi All, Need Your Help

I'm Developing Quite A Complex System For Editing And Displaying
Realtime 3d-Animation, Mainly Applying To Virtual Characters. All Gui
And Animation Stuff
Is Based Upon Gtk (And Opengl). The Core Design Idea Is To Have A Timer
Updating
All Relevant Widgets ( Function Curves With Time Index, Frame Slider,
Opengl Aniamtion Window, Etc.)
Simultaneously. All Those Widgets Are True Children Of The
Top-Level-Window Arranged In A Gtktable, No Pop-Ups!

The Last Missing Visualization Element Of This Editor Is A Video-Player,
Which Should Be
Also A Slave To The Timer And Sync'ed To The Other Widgets, I.E. Needs
To Be Able To Step Through The Video Frame By Frame.
Mplayer Cannot Provide That: The Stepping Parameter Is An Integer Of A
Second! So, I Decided
To Use Xanim, Which Can Step Through A Video On A Frame Basis When
Receiving Mouse Clicks In Its X-Window.

Up To Now, I Managed To Redirect The Output Of Xanim To My Gtk-Program
Using A Gtksocket!
But How Can I Control Xanim To Step Through The Video In Accordance With
The Programs Timer!
Is It Reasonable To Rely On Interclient Communication?? If So, How Can
It Be Realized Via Gtk-Calls?

Any Hints Are Welcome!
Thank You For Your Attention

--
Ralf Heeg                       Laboratory for Mixed Realities
E-Mail: <heeg>@lmr.khm.de>      at the Academy of Media Arts Cologne