Re: Accessible Labels

  Hi Russell, thanks for replying.

Russell Shaw (rjshaw netspace net au):

Billy Biggs wrote:

I'm working on an application which sometimes uses non-editable
GtkTextView widgets in place of GtkLabel to better accomodate
screen readers.  Unfortunately, this breaks on themes with a
background pixmap, as you end up with "labels" that have a flat
colour background.

On themes with a background pixmap, there is a (usually gray) box
below the entry.  Another disadvantage of this technique is that
the entry can get keyboard focus, which sometimes seems strange.

Maybe you could pack a GtkStatusbar to the bottom of the dialog.

Do status bars have special status in screen readers?  If so it
might have the correct behaviour, but I would be worried about
putting a status bar in the middle of the widget, and I do not think
that it makes sense visually in a dialog to have a status bar below
the OK/Cancel buttons.

I don't know about screen-readers, but i'd think using a status bar
would be more in line with user interface conventions, and a status
bar on that dialog box wouldn't be far away from where you had the
label text anyway. If the GtkLabel drives the screen-reader, then you
could make the label invisible and put the same text on the status bar
(a bit hackish;).

  The point of this exercise is to accomodate both a screen-reader and a
sighted user in a sane way, so if a status bar has no special status
then it is not very useful.  Besides, I can't find any prior art for
status bars in dialogs, nor would glade seem to let me do it at all: you
can't seem to put a status bar below the OK/Cancel buttons (and you
can't put it above since it has a resize handle).  I do not think it
would look right anyway.

Another way is to use pango to directly draw text on the dialog
widgets background, which hopefully shouldn't add any background of
its own.

  I could just use a label and it would look fine and give the behaviour
I want.  The problem is controlling when it will be read by a screen
reader.  It seems like using a text area would make the user experience
really intuitive for a visually impaired user.

  That said, I could implement my own widget that supports the use I
want, my question is whether this is something worth supporting in Gtk+
itself, or is my use case invalid for some other reason.

  -Billy