Re: n00b: proprietary software with gtk/win32

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 08:52, F. Kater wrote:
Hi,

I myself try to convice my boss to let me program windows software using
gtk+ and to port our software to linux systems later on. I've got three
questions about that:

1) Does this paragraph (see below, copied from www.gtk.org) mean that it
is allowed to use gtk+/win32 for proprietary software only if we don't
charge our customers at all -- or the oposite, that we are allowed to
develope windows software using gtk+ without being charged by the gtk+
people?

GTK+ is free software and part of the GNU Project. However, the
licensing terms for GTK+, the GNU LGPL, allow it to be used by all
developers, including those developing proprietary software, without
any license fees or royalties.

It means that you can use GTK+ for developing proprietary software
without paying any licensing fees or royalties. (Suggestions for
improving the wording appreciated...)

2) Is it true that the windows version of gtk+ is still 1.x and will not
be ported to 2.x?

Absolutely not. Current windows versions of GTK+ are included with
the GTK+-2.x source code.

3) I see sylpheed-claws working on windows very well -- but is it
possible to integrate windows widgeds like movie playes into the gtk
graphical interface?

I believe it is possible, but I haven't investigated the details.

Regards,
                                        Owen