Some questions I\

There's a few things that've been bugging me of late, and I was just wondering if anyone here could shed any
light on any of these points:

1) An easy way to determine what image format a file is encoded in, if in fact it is an image at all.  (And
possibly obtain some basic image stats)  At present I'm loading the entire image, just to see if it is an
image, and throw it away again.  There are other ways, but although slow, this is the easiest.  The closest I
can think of without resorting to running external programs, or fiddling around with image libraries, is to
use the progressive Image Loader.  As I understand it, it will emit a signal as soon as it has basic image
configuration information.  I don't recall from the documentation, however, how to determine the format of
the image being loaded?

2) With regard to GtkTextView's, is there a way to scroll by whole lines?  Or limit the view to a specific
number of lines?  And how about drawing an underline on a piece of text while the cursor hovers over it?
Preferably a dotted line one pixel below the normal underline?

3) For Progress bars, can I render text while in activity-mode?  Or place the edge of the text at a fixed
distance from the edge of the widget?

4) I'm placing an image inside a ScrolledWindow, which is surrounded by some other widgets.  Is there any way
to set the window size so the image fits the ScrolledWindow perfectly, so long as the window's size remains
within some bounds?

Any help achieving any of these goals would be much appreciated.

fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com