From: Owen Taylor [mailto:otaylor redhat com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 4:15 PM
To: Ian Wilkinson
Cc: GNOME User group
Subject: Re: FW: Getting default style

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 13:40 -0700, Ian Wilkinson wrote:
[Apologies if this message is repeated.  I'm having problems
with my mail
client]

Hi, I am working on a Gtk -> Qt style conversion library.  I'm
new to GTK,
so go easy on me.

how can I get a GtkStyle object, representing the current GtkStyle being
used?

If I use gtk_style_new() it seems to give me an uninitialised structure
(sounds reasonable).

I want to get a structure containing information for the
current Gtk style.

Do I have to create a GtkWidget in order to do this or not?

Not going to try to answer these... GTK+ doesn't really work like that.

Styles/themes are currently undocumented in the GTK reference manual -
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/gtk/gtk-styles.html.  Does
anyone know of
an 'unofficial' reference?

Can I suggest you look at the docs for the current version of GTK+
instead, e.g.:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkStyle.html

(the RC files documentation might be the best starting place)

http://www.gtk.org/~otaylor/gtk/2.0/theme-engines.html is a decent
intro, though outdated in some of the details. (gtk.org seems to
be down, you should be able to get it out of the google cache.)

Also worth looking at the Mozilla or OpenOffice theme drawing code if
you want to find out the scary details of how to use GTK+ theme engines
from non GTK+ code.

Regards,
                                              Owen