GtkTable and allignment

Hi all.

I just started playing around with gtk+ and I've run into a very
frusterating problem.  I'm hoping someone can help me out.

All I need is a simple table with X rows and 2 column's.  both left
and right column hold text only and alligned to the left.

I can't seem to get them alligned correctly.  No matter what I try,
the text gets centered.

Here's some code to illustrate the technique I'm trying.  The issue doesn't show
up here, but I use the same technique on tables with more rows and labels with
different numbers of characters in them.

GtkWidget * get_eident_label()
{
   static GtkWidget * eident_label;
   if(eident_label){
      return eident_label;
   }

   eident_label = gtk_label_new( "" );
   gtk_misc_set_alignment(GTK_MISC(eident_label) , 0.0f , 0.0f );
   return eident_label;
}

GtkWidget * get_ehdr_table()
{
   static GtkWidget * table;
   GtkWidget * tmpw;

   if(table)
      return table;

   table = gtk_table_new( 1 , 2 , FALSE );

   tmpw  = gtk_label_new("e_ident:");
   gtk_misc_set_alignment(GTK_MISC(tmpw) , 0.0f , 0.0f );
   gtk_table_attach( GTK_TABLE(table ) , tmpw , 0 , 1 , 0 , 1 ,
                     GTK_SHRINK , GTK_SHRINK , 0 , 0 );

   tmpw = get_eident_label();
   gtk_table_attach( GTK_TABLE(table ) , tmpw , 1 , 2 , 0 , 1 ,
                     GTK_SHRINK , GTK_SHRINK , 0 , 0 );

   return table;
}

char * get_eident_str( elf_t * elf )
{
    /* XXX test stub XXX */
    return "E L F";
}

static void ehdr_view_set_data( GtkWidget * w , gpointer data )
{
   GtkWidget * tmpw;
   elf_t * elf;

   elf = ELFWIDGET(w)->elf;

   if( elf )
   {
      char * tmpstr;
      tmpstr = get_eident_str( elf );
      tmpw = get_eident_label();
      gtk_label_set_text( GTK_LABEL(tmpw) , tmpstr );
   }
}

So this is the current state of things.  I've been hacking around for
hours trying different stuff, but I can't get what I want ( which I
really doubt is impossible ).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

anon