GtkIconview Background Image?

I  am building a Gtk Desktop Environment.
And i figured i would use GtkIconView as the bases for my desktop so i could
have desktop icons,
rubber band selection, right click menu, desktop background color and
desktop wallpaper, and then
i would use eather gdk or xlib to set the desktop as the root window.

I have figured out everything except how to have GtkIconView display a
background image.

I do believe iconview background images have something to do with...

GtkWidget has a member called "GtkStyle *style". You should use that and its
bg_pixmap[] property at
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkStyle.html#GtkStyle-struct

And i have been search google for days going threw all the source code i can
find trying to figure out
how to get my application to display a background image.

So to anyone who reads this if you can offer any help "any help" that would
be great

Thanks in advance.

Steve