GtkAboutDialog close

Okay, I'm a newbie with Gtk. I'm designing with glade-3. I've got an annoying problem with my about dialog.

I connected the help->about menu item to a callback that pops up the dialog. The "Credits" and "License" buttons work fine. The "Close" button does nothing. I've seen a bug report in one of the Ubuntu forums that claimed this was not a bug, that I have to connect a signal to the close button. Great, but how do I *access* the close button to connect it. In glade, the action area shows up as an internal object with no buttons for me to connect to.

Instead, another set of messages I found related to Gtk-perl said I should do something like this:

void
on_menu_help_about_activate_cb(GtkObject *object, gpointer user_data)
{
GtkWidget *window = GTK_ABOUT_DIALOG(gtk_builder_get_object(builder, "help_about_dialog"));
   gtk_about_dialog_set_version(window, VERSION);
   gtk_dialog_run(window);
   gtk_widget_hide(window);
}

which effectively makes the dialog modal. I really don't like modal dialogs unless there is a good reason for them to be modal. And I can't see any reason a "help" dialog of any sort should be modal.

How can I get the Close button to just hide the dialog so I don't have to do the run/hide thing in the callback?

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland rlenter com                            6818 Madeline Court