libwnck empty window listing

Hi all,
I have been trying to learn how to use libwnck to write a simple
application launcher.
All has been going good up until the point where I tried to get a
listing of the windows, at which time I just get an empty null glist
back.

Sources:

http://www.slello.com/tmp/wnck-test/
http://www.slello.com/tmp/wnck-test.zip

Specifically the code that is having the trouble is

const GList *
ma_external_window_list_new(MAScreen * screen)
{
        assert (screen != NULL);
        assert (screen->wnck_screen != NULL);

        GList * screen_window_list =
wnck_screen_get_windows_stacked(screen->wnck_screen);
        assert (screen_window_list != NULL);

The wnck_screen instance was previously provided by the  `const GList
* ma_screen_list_new(void)` function within `mascreen.c`.

I only have one gdk display, one gdk screen (regardless I am running
this on all), as well no errors are emanated from the api. It just
silently fails. However! I must be doing something wrong because avant
window navigator successfully I am currently looking through their
source code to see what they are doing but I hope someone can see the
problem.

Thanks
Dan