glib 2.16.6 problem

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 07:45:12AM -0500, Charles Crisler wrote:
I am trying to get gtkmm-2.14.3 installed on my development system. I
have installed glib-2.18.2, which is required for gtk+-2.14.4. However,
when I try to build gtk+, it fails the configure step with the message

'pkg-config --modversion ... returned 2.18.2, but GLIB (2.16.6) was
found!

I first ran into that a couple of weeks ago. Eventually I did install
2.16.6 just so that I could uninstall it, but that didn't help. Then I
did install it. I have since installed 2.18.2 (I forgot to uninstall
2.16.6 first) and am still encountering that problem.

Well, that's both a tricky and a trivial question.
gtk+ is using AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0 macro, instead of a simple
pkg-config check. In most cases, it's not a problem,
here however, it triggers a conflict.

You have probably a stale version of glib 2.16.6 on your system.
pkg-config returns the new lib (or rather new version number),
but the stale lib is higher in either LD_LIBRARY_PATH
or ld.so.conf, so the runtime check links to it
and so it returns old version. As those two don't match,
AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0 check fails.

In other words, this problem is probably self-harm.